VerifyMe Celebrates 8 Years of Promoting Trust
What were you doing on February 20, 2013? Were you still basking in the euphoria of Nigeria’s 3rd AFCON victory? Maybe watching A Good Day to Die Hard in the cinema, or perhaps it was just another Wednesday?
On that fateful day, one man took a huge step to help protect thousands of Nigerians’ lives and property.
This man’s story begins in the year 2011.
Fresh from the United States, Olutunji Oluwole hired a cook to serve him and his family in their new Lagos home. Before being employed, this cook was screened and checked by a recruitment agency.
Unfortunately, this exercise proved futile because the “verified” staff poisoned Olutunji and his entire family, and made away with their belongings.
A few weeks later, Olutunji discovered the same cook had assumed another identity and was working for another family. Regrettably, the criminal escaped once again.
At this moment, Olutunji Oluwole vowed to solve the credibility gap in the Nigerian hiring process. Thus the idea for VerifyMe was conceived and then birthed as a legal entity on Wednesday, February 20, 2013.
With the help of his co-founder, Esigie Aguele, and an extremely passionate team, Olutunji has transformed what began as a domestic worker validation company into one of Nigeria’s leading KYC and ID technology companies.
Today VerifyMe is closing the credibility gap in Nigeria by delivering trusted identities to industries.
Despite the challenges posed by COVID-19 in 2020, we grew to record levels:
- Transaction volumes grew by 50X compared to 2019
- Signed up 110 API customers which included 30% of commercial banks, 10 microfinance banks and 5 of the top 10 insurance companies in Nigeria
- Received licences from the
- National Identity Management Commission (NIMC)
- Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC)
- Lagos State Residents Registration Agency (LASRRA)
- Built a network of over 10,000 agents in over 700 LGAs nationwide
- Created a state-of-the-art agent app that has reduced the risk of falsified address verification reports
- Developed the capacity to verify over 700 addresses per day
- Released our secure data marketplace
We’ve brought this momentum into 2021 with our crosshairs set on growing our business in new African markets.
We celebrate the whole VerifyMe team for the incredible work done, appreciate our customers for the patronage and laud our investors for the keen insight and support. We couldn’t have made it this far without you.
Cheers to 8 years of growth and here’s to 800 more!